Want to be the absolute best in the bedroom? Well you’re in luck, as studies say music is the key. Listening to music while having sex has actual psychological benefits, including giving you the tools to bring out your sexiest self in the bedroom.
Researchers from McGill University found that listening to music prompts the release of dopamine, the ‘feel good’ chemical in our brains that also gets released when we reward ourselves with food, sleep and of course, sex.
It appears you can maximise your ‘feel good’ chemical release by listening to music while having sex — that is, by engaging in two major activities that prompt a dopamine release at the same time. What could be more stimulating than that?
Cranking the tunes during sex can help you focus on your moves and distract you from negative thoughts or feelings (whether that’s fatigue, stress or anything else) that might prevent you (or your partner) from reaching your full potential in bed.
Spotify has jumped on this bandwagon too, agreeing in the importance of music and sex together so much so, that they conducted a study of their own to learn what kinds of music we’re listening to while we get freaky.
Led by music psychologist Daniel Mullensiefen, the study asked 2,000 people between the ages of 18 and 91 their favourite songs to have sex to. Across the top ten results, see if any resonate with you…
1. ‘She’s Like The Wind’ by Patrick Swayze
2. ‘Sexual Healing’ by Marvin Gaye
3. ‘Boléro’ by London Symphony Orchestra
4. ‘Take My Breath Away’ by Berlin
5. ‘You See The Trouble With Me’ by Barry White
6. ‘Let’s Get It On’ by Marvin Gaye
7. ‘Unchained Melody’ by Righteous Brothers
8. ‘My Heart Will Go On’ by Celine Dion
9. ‘Je T’aime’ by Serge Gainsbourg
10. ‘I Will Always Love You’ by Whitney Houston
Just in case that science-backed playlist seems way too heavy on the mushy side, we’ve curated our own version of this playlist, which consists of more sultry voices cooing against deep, unhurried basses — if you’re into that.
1. ‘High For This’ by The Weeknd
2. ‘Nirvana’ by Sam Smith
3. ‘Pony’ by Ginuwine
4. ‘Novacane’ by Frank Ocean
5. ‘So Appalled’ by Kanye West
6. ‘Let’s Stay Together’ by Al Green
7. ‘French Exit’ by The Antlers
8. ‘Do I Wanna Know’ by Arctic Monkeys
9. ‘Instant Crush’ by Daft Punk
10. ‘Latch’ by Disclosure
Happy F*cking xx